Koru Programme terms and conditions
1.1 The Koru Programme is a membership programme offered by Air New Zealand to Koru Members.
1.2 By applying for Koru Membership, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, which govern membership to the Koru Programme.
1.3 Membership to the Koru Programme is not interchangeable with membership to any other programme or club.
1.4 We draw your attention to the following provisions in these Terms and Conditions:
- Your Koru Membership Fee is non-refundable (paragraph 3.1)
- We will send you email communications and you may update your communication preferences (paragraph 7)
- We may vary the Member benefits and Membership Fees from time to time (paragraph 15.1)
- In certain circumstances we may terminate your Koru Membership (paragraph 16)
- We limit our liability to you in respect of your Koru Membership (paragraph 17)
8.1 Koru Members may be asked to present their Koru Card, upon request, to staff administering lounges, partner lounges and other member benefit facilities in order to access and enjoy the member benefits. If a Koru Member fails to present their Koru Card they may be refused access to member benefits, including but not limited to lounge and partner lounge facilities.
8.2 Each Koru Card is only valid for use by the person named as the Koru Member on the Koru Card. The Koru Card must not be used by any other person.
8.3 Koru Members (and former Koru Members) must not use or present their Koru Card at any Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge or other member benefit facility after the date of expiry, termination or revocation of their Koru Membership.
8.4 Each Koru Card remains the property of Air New Zealand and Koru Members must return their Koru Card to Air New Zealand upon our request and/or on termination of their Koru Membership. Koru Members must notify Air New Zealand as soon as possible if their Koru Card is lost or stolen. We will charge a fee for the replacement of Koru Cards.
2.1 Applicants for Koru Membership must present a fully completed Koru Membership application form to Air New Zealand together with payment of the Koru Membership Fee and Joining Fee. We reserve the right to accept or decline any application for Koru Membership. If your application is declined, your Membership Fee and Joining Fee will be refunded. If we accept your application, we will issue you with a Koru Card on which your name and Koru Membership number will be printed.
2.2 A Koru Member may only hold one type of Koru Membership at any one time. Membership of Koru is personal to the Koru Member and is not transferable to any other person.
9.1 Koru Members are able to access and enjoy a range of Koru member benefits as part of their Koru Membership. We will vary, change and update the Koru benefits available to Koru Members from time to time. Visit our website for a list of up to date Koru member benefits.
9.2 You acknowledge that your application for Koru Membership is on the basis that Koru benefits will change from time to time.
9.3 Current Koru member benefits include:
- Selected access to Air New Zealand Lounges and partner lounges in accordance with the requirements of paragraphs 10 and 13 of these Terms and Conditions;
- Selected Guest access to lounges and certain partner lounges in accordance with the requirements of paragraph 11 and 13 of these Terms and Conditions;
- Additional baggage allowance on all Air New Zealand operated flights (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number) provided that the Koru Member’s fare includes a checked bag;
- Priority check-in when travelling on any Air New Zealand operated flights;
- Priority check-in and priority baggage for flights between New Zealand and Australia with Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia;
- Priority check-in, priority baggage, additional baggage allowance and priority seating on Air New Zealand flights operated by Cathay Pacific between Hong Kong and Auckland (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number);
- Priority in the Air New Zealand reservations waiting list when ringing the Air New Zealand contact centre; and
- Complimentary frequent flyer seating on select Air New Zealand operated flights, subject to space availability.
9.4 Additional baggage allowance is not provided to Koru Members travelling on flights between New Zealand and Australia operated by Virgin Australia.
3.1 The Koru Membership Fee and Joining Fee are both non-refundable. For example, if a Koru Member becomes an Airpoints Gold or Gold Elite Member during the term of their Koru Membership, and decides to terminate their current Koru Membership, the Koru Member’s Membership Fee and Joining Fee will not be refunded.
10.1 Visit the lounge directory on our website for an up to date list of Air New Zealand Lounges and partner lounges.
10.2 Koru Members may only access an Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge if each of the following criteria are met:
- The Koru Member’s access to an Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge is directly prior to, for a stay of up to 4 hours and on the same day as the Koru Member’s departure on a flight (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number) and the Air New Zealand Lounge and partner lounge is located in the same airport terminal as the Koru Member’s flight;
- The Koru Member must be departing on an Air New Zealand operated aircraft (if they wish to access an Air New Zealand Lounge or Koru Express);
- The Koru Member must be departing on one of the following flights (if they wish to access an Air New Zealand International Lounge):
- an Air New Zealand operated aircraft (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number); or
- a Virgin Australia operated aircraft for travel within Australia and between New Zealand and Australia (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number); or
- on a Cathay Pacific operated aircraft if travelling between Hong Kong and Auckland (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number)
- The Koru Member must not be travelling on a ticket that prohibits access to an Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge
- The Koru Member must be able to present, upon request, their Koru Card and their boarding pass for an Air New Zealand flight number to the staff administering the Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge;
- The Koru Member must meet the minimum dress standard as reasonably determined by the staff administering the Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge;
- The Koru Member is not and does not become intoxicated, disruptive or act inappropriately or offensively, as reasonably determined by the staff administering the Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge;
- The Koru Member must not remove any food or beverage from any Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge
10.3 Koru Members and their Guests must leave an Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge if asked to do so by any staff member administering the Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge. Staff members may ask a Koru Member or Guest to leave an Air New Zealand Lounge or partner lounge if they reasonably consider that the behaviour of either the Koru Member or their Guest is:
- offensive, disruptive, or inappropriate;
- in breach of Lounge dress criteria;
- not compliant with reasonable Lounge staff requests; or
- displaying signs of intoxication
10.4 People under the legal drinking age will be restricted from accessing self-service bars.
4.1 We offer the following types of Koru Membership to new applicants:
Individual Membership, which is open to individual persons over the age of 18 years.
Corporate Membership, which is open to companies enrolling ten or more individual employees as Koru Members.
Senior Membership, which is available to any individual person 65 years or over, upon proof of age.
4.2 Existing 'Life Members' are able to continue their membership as 'Life Members' however this membership type is no longer available for new members. Existing Life Members have the same Koru Benefits as Individual Members.
4.3 We no longer offer 'Partner Membership' for new members. Existing 'Partner Members' are able to renew their 'Partner Membership' provided that the primary Koru Membership (that is linked to the Partner’s Membership) has not expired and the Partner Membership has not lapsed. Existing Partner Members have reduced Koru Benefits as compared to Individual Members as Partner Members do not have any Guest Entitlements and cannot purchase Guest Cards.
11.2 Koru Members are entitled to have one Guest accompany them into an Air New Zealand Lounge (including an Air New Zealand Domestic Lounge, Air New Zealand Regional Lounge or Air New Zealand International Lounge, but excluding Koru Express) if the Koru Member satisfies the requirements of clause 10 and if the Guest satisfies the requirements of clause 11. An additional Guest may be accommodated in Air New Zealand Lounges (excluding Koru Express) upon presentation of a valid pre-purchased Koru Guest Card (valid for one Guest only) or upon payment of a cover fee on the day from that lounge. You must not under any circumstances transfer or sell Guest access privileges to any third party for cash or any other consideration. If you breach this clause we reserve the right to revoke your Koru Membership.
11.3 Subject to space availability, Children under the age of 12 travelling with the Koru Member may accompany the Koru Member into a lounge without the need for a Guest Card. Children must be supervised by an accompanying adult at all times.
11.4 A Guest may only access a lounge if each of the following criteria are met:
- Guest access to a lounge is subject to space availability;
- The Guest is accompanied by a Koru Member;
- The Guest’s access to the lounge is on the same day and directly prior to the Guest’s departure on flight with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number and
- the Guest’s flight is operated by an Air New Zealand aircraft (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number);
- the Guest’s flight is operated by Virgin Australia for travel within Australia or between New Zealand and Australia (on an Air New Zealand ticket and fight number);
- the Guest’s flight is operated by a Cathay Pacific aircraft for travel from New Zealand to Hong Kong (on an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number);
- the Guest’s flight will be departing from the same airport terminal as the Lounge;
- the Guest is able to present, upon request, their boarding pass with an Air New Zealand flight number to the staff administering the lounge;
- the Guest must comply with all reasonable lounge staff requests.
- the Guest meets the minimum dress standard as reasonably determined by the staff administering the lounge; and
- the Guest is not intoxicated, disruptive or acting inappropriately or offensively, as reasonably determined by the staff administering the lounge
11.5 Guest access to partner lounges is addressed in paragraph 13.3 below.
5.1 Koru Membership Fees are based on Koru Membership type and Membership duration. Applicants for new Koru Membership must pay a Joining Fee in addition to their Membership Fee. The current Koru Membership and Joining Fees are shown in the table below. All prices are in New Zealand Dollars and are GST inclusive.
12.1 All Koru Members except Partner Members are entitled to purchase one Koru Guest Card in each year of their Koru Membership to supplement their entitlement for Guest access to Air New Zealand Lounges. Use of Guest Cards is subject to the requirements of paragraph 11.2 above.
12.2 The current purchase price for a Koru Guest Card is set out below and varies depending on whether a Guest Card is purchased with a 3, 6, 9 or 12 month expiry limit. The Koru Guest Card purchase price may change from time to time. We will notify you of changes to the Koru Guest Card purchase price by updating the Guest Card purchase price details on our website.
Koru Guest card prices:
3 months - $85
6 months - $165
9 months - $250
12 months - $325
There is a maximum of 1 Koru Guest Card per member. Prices are quoted in New Zealand Dollars.
12.3 A Koru Guest Card may only be used during its period of validity and before the Guest Card expiry date, and only during the validity of the accompanying Koru Member’s Koru Membership. Koru Guest Cards are not valid for use if the accompanying Koru Member’s Koru Membership has expired or has been terminated.
12.4 The Koru Guest Card must be displayed at lounge entry for the Koru members second additional guest, and the guest must be travelling together with the Koru member from the same terminal on an Air New Zealand flight.
12.5 You must not under any circumstances transfer or sell a Guest Card to any third party for cash or any other consideration. If you breach this clause we reserve the right to revoke your Koru Membership.
All prices are in New Zealand Dollars and are GST inclusive.
* A joining fee is applicable for both new memberships and existing members who are renewing their membership after one month of expiry of an existing membership.
** New partner memberships are no longer available. Existing memberships will be honoured for their team.
For payment by credit card please process payment online or call the Koru contact centre. To protect your credit card safety please refrain from sending your credit card details by email or fax.
13.1 Visit our website for an up to date list of partner lounges located outside of New Zealand.
13.2 Koru Member entry to a partner lounge is subject to the entry and use requirements of the partner lounge operator.
13.3 Guest entitlements vary at different partner lounges. Some partner lounges allow one Guest to be admitted to the partner lounge when accompanied by a Koru Member and subject to space availability. Visit our website for an up to date list of Guest entitlements and limits at partner lounges. Children are not permitted to enter partner lounges in addition to the Guest Allowance of the particular partner lounge.
13.4 Koru Members plus one Guest may access Virgin Australia lounges when travelling on Air New Zealand or Virgin Australia operated services between New Zealand and Australia (flights to and from the Pacific Islands are excluded), and Virgin Australia domestic lounges when travelling on Virgin Australia operated services within Australia.
13.5 Koru Members may access the Thai Airways Business Class lounge in Hong Kong when travelling on a flight operated by Air New Zealand or Cathay Pacific (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number). Koru Members may not bring a Guest to the Thai Airways Business Class lounge in Hong Kong.
5.2 Membership and Joining Fees can be paid in full with Airpoints Dollars™, credit or debit card or with an Air New Zealand Travel Card.
5.3 Koru Membership and Joining Fees will be updated and changed from time to time. We will notify you of these changes by updating the Koru Membership Fee table on our website.
15.1 From time to time, we may vary the types of Koru Membership available, the Membership Fees, the Joining Fees, the Koru Guest Card Fees, and the Membership benefits. For example, we may discontinue the availability of certain Air New Zealand Lounges. We may also change our arrangements with partner lounge providers. This may result in some partner lounge facilities being discontinued and or new partner lounge facilities becoming available. We may also vary the requirements relating to Guest access to lounges and partner lounges. From time to time, we may publish new fare types which may not permit access to lounges or partner lounges. Whilst we will endeavour to provide valuable Member benefits to Koru Members, we will need to review, update and change the types of Member benefits available from time to time. Changes to Member benefits may reflect, for example, changes in the availability of airport space; changes in our partnership arrangements with other airline carriers; changes in our route network; and changes in the demand for Lounge access at different destinations.
15.2 We may vary these Terms and Conditions from time to time. We will notify you of these changes by updating the Koru terms and conditions on our website.
6.1 Existing Koru Members may apply to renew their Koru Membership by paying the Koru Membership Fee that is current at the time of the renewal.
6.1.1 Koru Members may renew their membership 60 days before their membership expires.
6.2 If a Koru Member renews their Koru Membership no later than one month after the expiry of their Koru Membership, the Koru Member will not be required to pay a new Joining Fee and their Membership will be reinstated from the date that the previous Membership expired.
6.3 If a Koru Member renews their Membership more than one month after the expiry of their Membership expired, the Koru Member will be required to pay a new Joining Fee in addition to the Membership Fee.
6.4 We reserve the right to decide not to renew Koru Membership. Koru Members also have a right not to renew their Koru Membership.
17.1 To the fullest extent permitted by law, Air New Zealand shall not be liable (in negligence, tort, breach of contract or otherwise) for any direct or indirect loss, or special or consequential loss, arising out of or in connection with:
- Our variation of Koru Benefits from time to time;
- Our variation to these Terms and Conditions from time to time;
- The suspension to or termination of a Koru Member’s Koru Membership;
- A Koru Member’s use of or ability (or inability) to access any Koru benefits;
- Koru Member and Guest access to (or inability to access) and use any Air New Zealand Lounges or partner lounge
17.2 Many of the Koru benefits available to Koru Members are provided by third party entities with which Air New Zealand has made arrangements but over which Air New Zealand has no control, for example Koru Member access to partner lounges. Air New Zealand does not endorse third party entities providing Member benefits and has no liability in respect of your dealings with third parties. You maintain full responsibility for your dealings with third parties and your use of any Koru benefit that is provided by a third party.
17.3 To the fullest extent permitted by law, Air New Zealand makes no warranties (express or implied), and makes no representations, with respect to the availability and or suitability of Guest benefits for your use.
7.1 By providing us with your email address, you consent to us sending you commercial email communications including Koru and Airpoints communications, special offers, and partner communications.
7.2 You may unsubscribe to our marketing emails at any time by clicking on the 'unsubscribe link' in our emails. Also, if you are a registered user of our website, you can go to the 'My Profile' page after signing into our website to update your email communication preferences.
19.1 Any notice given by us to a Koru Member pursuant to these Terms and will be deemed to have been given and received by the Koru Member if we email the notice to the Koru Member at the last email address provided by the Koru Member to Air New Zealand.
19.2 You must promptly notify Air New Zealand either online through your signed in Air New Zealand account, in person at a Koru Lounge, or in writing or by phone of any change of address or contact details. Any name change by a Member must be notified to Air New Zealand in writing together with proof of the name change.
14.1 We will waive the Airpoints™ membership fee and provide complimentary Airpoints membership to new Koru Members at the time of applying for Koru membership. Airpoints membership is subject to the Airpoints terms and conditions.
16.1 Koru Members may terminate their Koru Membership at any time by providing notice in writing to Air New Zealand and returning their Koru Card to Air New Zealand. Koru Members who terminate their Koru Membership are not entitled to a refund of their Koru Membership Fee or Joining Fee.
16.2 Air New Zealand may terminate or suspend a Koru Member’s Koru Membership or cancel or suspend a Koru Member’s access to Koru Benefits if we reasonably believes that the Koru Member has:
- abused, misused or obtained by any misrepresentation any Koru Benefits or other facilities or arrangements provided by or in connection with the Koru Programme;
- behaved in a manner which Air New Zealand reasonably considers to be unacceptable while using any Koru benefits or other facilities, services, or arrangements provided by or in connection with the Koru Programme;
- acted in any way that is detrimental to the interests of Air New Zealand or the Koru Programme; or
- provided any incorrect or misleading information to Air New Zealand in connection with their application for or membership to the Koru Programme
16.3 Koru Membership will automatically terminate on the death or bankruptcy of a Koru Member.
16.4 If we decide to discontinue the Koru Programme we may terminate Koru Memberships by giving Koru Members 3 months' written notice.
16.5 If we cease to operate as an airline, we may terminate Koru Membership any time without notice.
20.1 We have no responsibility for any tax liabilities or other levies or duties that may be imposed on any Koru Member arising from their Koru Membership. Air New Zealand gives no warranty or assurance in relation to such tax liabilities or other levies or duties or the tax-deductibility of the Membership Fee. Koru Members should seek their own advice on such matters. Koru Members will not be provided with a tax invoice if they pay for their Koru Membership using Airpoints Dollars™.
21.1 These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand. You and Air New Zealand consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand in connection with any legal action that may arise in relation to your Koru Membership and or your use of Koru Membership benefits.
Where a translation of these Terms and Conditions is made available in a language other than English, in the event of a conflict between the English version of these Terms and Conditions and any translation, the English Version shall prevail.
23.1 Additional information about the Koru Programme may be found on the Air New Zealand website. To the extent of any inconsistency, these Terms and Conditions, as amended from time to time, shall prevail.
23.2 The Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (NZ) shall not apply to these Terms and Conditions in respect of Koru Memberships acquired and or used for the purpose of business.
24.1 In these Terms and Conditions:
"Air New Zealand", "we" or "us" means Air New Zealand Limited.
"Air New Zealand Lounge" means Air New Zealand operated and branded lounges and includes Air New Zealand Domestic Lounges, Air New Zealand Regional Lounges, and Air New Zealand International Lounges and also includes Koru Express facilities operated by or on behalf of Air New Zealand (not partner lounges), the locations and characteristics of which will vary from time to time in accordance with the lounge directory which is published on our website and updated from time to time.
"Airpoints" means the Airpoints customer loyalty programme operated by Air New Zealand.
"Guest" means a person who accompanies a Koru Member into a lounge or Partner lounge upon satisfaction of all the entry requirements specified in these Terms and Conditions.
"Koru benefits" means the benefits, facilities, arrangements and services that are made available to Koru Members from time to time by or on behalf of Air New Zealand, the locations and characteristics of which will vary from time to time in accordance with the list of Koru benefits which is published on our website and updated from time to time.
"Koru Card" means the card issued to Koru Members by Air New Zealand to evidence the Koru Member's membership to the Koru programme.
"Koru Express" means the Koru Express facilities operated by or on behalf of Air New Zealand in New Zealand, the locations and characteristics of which will vary from time to time in accordance with the lounge directory which is published on our website and updated from time to time.
"Koru Guest Card" means a card purchased by a Koru Member (excluding a Partner Member) from Air New Zealand upon payment of a Guest Card purchase fee, to enable admission of an additional Guest into Air New Zealand Lounges upon satisfaction of all the entry requirements specified in these Terms and Conditions.
"Koru Member" means a person who has applied for and has been accepted as a Koru Member of the Koru programme; who has paid the applicable Koru Membership Fee; who has been issued with a Koru Card; whose Koru Membership is current; and whose Membership has not been suspended, terminated or revoked.
"Koru programme" means the domestic and international air traveller’s programme operated by Air New Zealand to provide Member Benefits to Koru Members.
"Membership Fee" means the membership fee payable to Air New Zealand by applicants for Koru Membership as payment for the Koru Membership, in the monetary amount specified on our website.
"Partner lounge" means lounges that are operated by or on behalf of third party airline carriers or airline alliances (not Air New Zealand Lounges) in locations where Air New Zealand does not operate a lounge, the locations and characteristics of which will vary from time to time in accordance with the lounge directory which is published on our website and updated from time to time.
"Joining Fee" means the joining fee payable to Air New Zealand by a new applicant for Koru Membership and by persons who have expired Koru Membership, in payment for the Koru programme joining fee, in the monetary amount specified on our website.
"You" means the person named as the applicant on a Koru Membership application form; the person applying to renew a Koru Membership; and or the person whose name is embossed on a Koru Card.