About our reporting
Data and commentary in Air New Zealand's 2021 Sustainability Report is for the year ended 30 June 2021 unless otherwise stated.
Air New Zealand's organisational boundary for sustainability reporting encompasses the companies listed in the GHG Inventory 2021 Report which incorporates legal entities or facilities over which Air New Zealand has operational control over, unless otherwise stated.
In developing content for the report, we considered the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Principles for Defining Report Content of Stakeholder Inclusiveness, Sustainability Context, Materiality and Completeness.
We welcome your feedback and comments - please contact us.
Our material issues
Our purpose at Air New Zealand is to enrich our country through connecting New Zealanders to each other and New Zealand to the world. Our material issues relate to how Air New Zealand delivers on this and creates value for our stakeholders and our business.
Each year we identify our material issues based on the following factors:
- Significance of the issue to stakeholders – including our customers, employees, partners, investors and the communities in which we operate
- Importance of the issue to Air New Zealand
- Air New Zealand's ability to control and/or influence the issue
Our material issues inform our strategic priorities, sustainability approach and reporting. In 2021 we released our new Sustainability Framework that contains, our new strategy, focus areas and associated targets.
We engage with a wide range of stakeholders, internally and externally, to identify our material issues. We also consider:
- Feedback from customers, investors and communities
- Feedback from our Sustainability Advisory Panel, who are subject matter experts in a wide range of topics, including sustainable development, Māori culture and intercultural understanding, conservation, sustainable tourism, climate policy, aviation industry economics, sustainable consumption and societal wellbeing
- Topics raised by our Board of Directors
- Feedback from our Executive and Airline Leadership Team
- Risks identified in our Enterprise Risk Management Profile and business planning processes
- Engagement with key industry and sustainability bodies
Our material issues for 2021 that we have reported on, are:
- Caring for New Zealanders
- Genuine climate action
- Driving towards a circular economy
- Sustainable tourism